The Girl Who Overcame Time.... and the Boy Who Was Just Overcome
InuYasha Season 1 - Episode 1
|← Prev||Episode 1||Next →|
Toki o Koeta Shōjo to Fūinsareta Shōnen
16 October 2000
31 August 2002 (Adult Swim)
The Beads of Subjugation
The Girl Who Overcame Time... and the Boy Who Was Just Overcome is the first episode of the InuYasha anime.
- Inuyasha attempts to steal the Shikon no Tama, but Kikyō seals him to the sacred tree just before she gets killed by an imposter
- Modern-day Kagome, the suspected reincarnation of Kikyō, is pulled through her family's well to the Sengoku jidai.
- Inuyasha awakens.
- Kagome frees Inuyasha from his seal in order to get rid of Mistress Centipede who was terrorizing her and the villagers of Kaede's village.
The hanyō Inuyasha is in the middle of stealing the Shikon Jewel from a village in feudal era Japan. The villagers attacked him in an attempt to prevent him from taking the jewel, but they were unsuccessful. Inuyasha succeeded in getting the jewel, but on his way from the temple he was attacked by the priestess Kikyō.
Kikyō pins Inuyasha to the sacred tree with a sacred arrow, putting him into a deep sleep. Kikyō, who had already been fatally wounded at that point, tells her sister, Kaede, to burn the Shikon Jewel along with her body in order to keep it out of the hands of those who would abuse it.
In Japan of 1997, a 14-year-old girl named Kagome Higurashi is being told the story of the Shikon no Tama by her grandfather. Her grandfather gets upset when he notices Kagome isn't interested in his stories. He gives her an early birthday gift, the mummified foot of a water imp, which she gives to her cat Buyo to eat.
The next morning is Kagome's 15th birthday. As Kagome leaves for school she notices her brother Sōta near the shrine's sacred well. She approaches him and stands beside her brother in the doorway of the well, asking what's going on. Once he explains that he believes the cat is down near the well, Kagome heads inside the room and to the well in search of Buyo. They hear a scratching sound that scares Sōta, but Kagome continues down the stairs, convinced it is Buyo. After finding the cat, the well explodes in a flash of blue light and arms reach out and grab Kagome, pulling her into the well and transporting her into Feudal Japan.
On the trip to Feudal Japan Kagome notices the yōkai that grabbed her and gets scared. She pushes it away and when she does so, a purple flash of light hits it sending it away from her. Kagome then lands at the bottom of the well and, thinking she's still home, she calls for her brother to get their grandfather. Using the vines in the well to climb out she quickly notices that she isn't home anymore. She searches around the clearing hoping to find her family when she sees the Sacred Tree from her family shrine. Walking closer to the tree she notices the half-dog demon Inuyasha pinned to the tree. Being a typical girl, she reaches up and pets his cute little dog ears. The villagers, thinking that she is a demon, attack her and capture her when they notice her near Inuyasha.
The villagers take her to their village and call the town priestess Kaede, Kikyō's younger sister, to deal with her. Kaede notices something familiar about Kagome and frees her, then she takes Kagome to her hut. Kaede gives Kagome some stew for dinner and tells her that times are troubling and that's why the villagers distrusted her. Kaede then remembers what happened the day her sister died and reflects that it's been fifty years since then.
Meanwhile, Mistress Centipede, the demon that brought Kagome into the well, is in the Forest of Inuyasha searching for Kagome and the Shikon Jewel. Mistress Centipede attacks the village in an attempt at getting the Jewel. Sensing the demon is after her, Kagome runs towards the well to try and get it away from the village. While Kagome is running from the demon she calls for help. When she does this, the spell on Inuyasha breaks and he wakes up saying he smells the blood of the woman who 'killed' him, Kikyō.
Mistress Centipede attacks Kagome and she lands in front of the Sacred Tree. Inuyasha calls her Kikyō and asks her why she's taking so long to kill the demon, calling her weak in the process. Kagome tells him that she isn't Kikyō and is once again attacked by Mistress Centipede. The villagers attack Mistress Centipede and Inuyasha once again calls Kagome Kikyō. Mad, Kagome yells at Inuyasha that she isn't Kikyō and that her name is Kagome. Inuyasha sniffs her and determines she in fact isn't Kikyō and tells her that Kikyō was much cuter than her. Kagome gets angry and, while she is distracted, Mistress Centipede grabs her. To keep from getting taken Kagome grabs Inuyasha's hair.
Mistress Centipede attempts to bite Kagome but Kagome unknowingly blasts her, cutting off several arms like she had done in the well. Kaede tries to figure out why Inuyasha woke up when the spell should have lasted forever, while Inuyasha wonders why Kagome has the Shikon Jewel. The Shikon Jewel then glows in Kagome's side and Mistress Centipede bites her and throws her into the air. As Kagome falls, the Shikon Jewel flies out of the hole bitten in her side. Mistress Centipede then pins Kagome to Inuyasha and the tree by wrapping her long body around it. The demon insults Inuyasha, who claims he can beat her. Kagome asks if what he says is true while Mistress Centipede proceeds to eat the Shikon Jewel.
Inuyasha tells Kagome to pull the arrow out of him so he can save them. Kaede warns Kagome against it, saying Inuyasha will kill them all. Inuyasha says that they will all die if he doesn't save them, and so Kagome pulls the arrow free with the desire to live fresh in her mind. Inuyasha quickly destroys Mistress Centipede with his "Iron Reaver Soul Stealer" and Kaede gets the Jewel from her remains once Kagome tells her where it is. Kaede returns the Jewel to Kagome, telling her that she is now the protector of the Jewel. Kagome wonders how it even got inside her body when Inuyasha interrupts her thoughts, threatening to kill her if she doesn't give him the Jewel. Kagome wonders how he can be so bad after saving all of their lives and fears she may have been wrong to free him.
Characters in Order of AppearanceEdit
- Although this is the first episode, this isn't the first time Inuyasha has killed Mistress Centipede.
- Although Sango doesn't make her first appearance in the anime until episode 24, she appears several times during the ending credits.
- This is the first episode in which Myōga, Sesshōmaru, and Jaken's names are listed in the credits. However, they don't appear until episode 5.
- This is the only ending theme song in which Inuyasha, Miroku, Shippō, and Kirara are not pictured.
- This is one of the few times Kagome is not seen wearing skirt out-of-uniform.
- In the English Dub, Kagome makes a reference to the Wizard of Oz upon finding herself in the Feudal Era - "Toto, I don't think we're in Tokyo anymore."
- In the English Dub, this is the only time the Shikon Jewel or Sacred Jewel is refered to as "Shikon no Tama" by Kikyo when she entrusts it to Kaede. " I won't live much longer and so I give this to you, the Shikon no Tama."
- The area between Kikyo's spot where she shot her arrow to seal Inuyasha to the Sacred Tree does not match between her time with Kagome's arrival into Inuyasha's Forest.